2.23.2011

Girl Power

Woops!  Did I say girl power?!  

Now you probably have a Spice Girls song stuck in your head...

 

I meant to say Green Power!!!!!
 It's amazing what a little green juice, green salads, and green apples can do to your life.  In my last post I admitted to my sugar filled week which left me feeling tired, heavy, and unmotivated to work out.


Sunday, I thought, enough is enough!  I'm going grocery shopping and buying enough fruits and veggies to feed a small army!  An army of 2 that is ;)


Would you believe that all this produce, along with 2 containers of hummus came to only $23.52?!  Yes, the power of Vine Ripe people.  And then I went to Henry's for some grains in the bulk bins and spend a whopping $2.27.  And I used my debit card, because who carries cash nowadays?


As you can imagine, a big chunk of my Sunday was spent washing all this produce.
Last week I saw a commercial for a news segment about the disgusting germs found on produce.  I didn't even watch the segment, but it made my skin crawl to actually think about it.  So this week I soaked my veggies in apple cider vinegar water, about 3 TBSP per gallon of water.  


I've noticed so far that it's so convenient to just grab something from the fridge and not have to wash it.  Although it was time consuming on Sunday, it pays off during the week.


Some of my eats:
Monday
Handful dandelion greens, green apple, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 lemon
cocoa oats with fresh blueberries
Salad with spinach, snap peas, chick peas, sunflower seeds, nooch, evoo + celery and PB
Shane made veggie-ful stir fry!

Tuesday
oats in a jar + 1/2 cup coffee
Salad with spinach, stir-fry, bean sprouts, snap peas, soy sauce, sunflower seeds + celery and hummus
Mediterranean Bulgur and Lentils

Mediterranean Bulgur and Lentils
1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat (I used cracked wheat)
1/2 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can whole kernel corn, drained ( I used frozen corn)
2 14oz containers veggie broth
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup drained pitted kalamata olives (I left these out)
1 cup crumbled fetta cheese (4 oz)

1. In a 3 to 4 quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except tomatoes, olives and cheese.

2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 3 to 4 hours or until lentils are tender.

3. Stir in tomatoes and olives.  Increase heat setting to High.  Cover; cook 15 minutes longer.  Top with cheese.

This was yummy and easy.  Mine turned out a little mushy, I think because I used cracked wheat instead of the bulgur.  It is a warm and satisfying meal that kept me full!!

I actually made this a while ago, hence the lack of pictures, and froze it.  Last night was the perfect opportunity to heat it up in the microwave and enjoy it all over again!

 Question: Did you have a favorite spice girl?
I loved Ginger Spice!!  She was so cool with her daisy dukes, bright red hair, and sassy attitude!

3 comments:

  1. mmm i love veggies. Looks so good!

    I was a fan of posh spice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Ginger Spice, too! She had a little wild in her... now the only one I can really stand is Posh (yeah- I'm semi-obsessed with her and her stylish ways).

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have so much in common!! I have a love-hate relationship with sugar. There is nothing better than getting a ton of produce for cheap and hummus too! Henrys is currently my favorite health food store :)

    ReplyDelete