1.08.2011

ME-day


I love my Saturdays.  Since Shane's weekend is Sunday/Monday, Saturday is a total me day.  

Saturdays are my day to blast Katy Perry and Taylor Swift while I cook, bake, and clean to my hearts delight.  Don't judge.  


Let me give you a guide for a totally glorious Saturday:


Wake up at 7 and feel wonderful that the sun is already up.  

Tip toe to the kitchen so as not to wake your slumbering boyfriend.

Make coffee, read blogs, and contemplate what to bake.
Chocolate Glazed Doughnut coffee is divine

Next on the agenda, go to Henry's in your PJ's so you can buy bananas.  Because you MUST bake banana walnut bread today.  Really, you must.  And while your there pick up a couple extra goodies :)

When you get home, lollygaggle (I like silly words) around your apartment with 30 Rock on the TV while your boyfriend gets ready for work. Make sure to interfere with his getting ready routine as much as possible ;)

After he leaves, put on some tunes and get baking!

While your bread is in the oven, get out your yoga mat and put on Exercise TV.
Because who needs a crowded gym on the weekend?
Now your bread is ready!

 After you savor a slice, okay 2 slices, of banana walnut bread, go clean the kitchen.  Then put away your Christmas decorations...finally!

Next, realize that you have a bunch of random stuff in your fridge that needs to be used ASAP!  Throw it in the slow cooker and hope for the best.
Lentils, cracked wheat, pinto beans, and various veggies.

 Go crazy cleaning and organizing.  After you have a spic'n'span apartment, hop in bed with a good book.  When you've read enough, stay in bed and make your grocery list.

Have a kitty keep you company.
It's 5:30, time to shower and get ready for a surprise party for one of Shane's co-workers.

 Banana Walnut Bread 


1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 TBSP flaxseed meal
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup almond milk
1 1/2 bananas, mashed
sprinkle turbinado sugar

Pre-heat over to 350.  Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix in milk and mashed banana.  I find it easiest to first squeeze the banana while it's in the peel, then use a fork to finish mashing after I peel it.  Fold in walnuts and pour into greased baking dish. Sprinkle turbinado sugar on the top for yummy crust.

Put loaf in oven for 50 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.

I love the simpleness of this bread.  And you can add or take away ingredients in a pinch, it's very versatile!

Question: Do you like surprise parties or do you prefer to know and have a hand in the planning and prepping?
 
I like the idea of a surprise party, but whoever was throwing it would need to make sure I was wearing a cute outfit so I didn't show up after the gym or something ridiculous like that!

Tell me, what makes a perfect Saturday?

2 comments:

  1. ME DAYS ARE THE BEST!!! That bread looks amazing. We are so alike because that sounds like the best day ever but I would definitely have to add in a run to make it perfect. 30 rock is the best show ever and getting back in bed with a book=perfection. On saturdays I will smile knowing it is your 'me day'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to have at least one day like that over the weekend... Me time is important!

    ReplyDelete