1.05.2011

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love peanut butter.  

All 40 oz, aka 2.5 lbs of creamy goodness.  Shane and I might buy the biggest jar you can get to cut down on trips to the grocery store. 


Or maybe we buy the biggest jar known to man so we can delude ourselves into thinking our consumption of PB is normal.  Which it's not, but I'm okay with that.  Sorta.

As a vegetarian I get to explain the inordinate amount of PB I eat to upping my daily protein intake.  We all know the truth though.  You'll never catch me with spoon full of beans straight outta the jar.


So the other night I had the urge to bake cupcakes, as I so often do.  As I rummaged through our kitchen looking for ingredients, I saw my beloved peanut butter sitting on the shelf, just waiting to be used.  Although I meant to make cupcakes, they turned out to be more of a cross between a cupcake and a muffin.  Thus, Peanut Butter Muff-Cakes were born.




PB Muff-Cakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 TBSP butter, softened
1 1/4 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup almond milk (or whatever milk you like to use)


Pre-heat oven to 350 and line cupcake tin. 

In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.  

In another bowl cream together the sugar, butter, and peanut butter until smooth.  Using a KitchenAid or electric mixer will make this step easier.


Add eggs and vanilla and continue to mix.


Next, alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture until it is mixed well.

You can even go crazy and add some extra goodness.  Chocolate chips would be fabulous!


Spoon into your tin and bake: 
22 minutes for regular cupcake size
20 minutes for mini cupcake size
30 minutes for ramekin size mini cakes

After they cool eat them plain. Or smother in Nutella.  And enjoy :)


mini pb muff-cake
After all this loving talk of peanut butter I've realized that I've been ignoring other nut butters.  I'm embarrassed to admit I've never given them a chance,  even though I drool over other bloggers nut butter creations.


Question: What nut butter should I add to my grocery list? 

3 comments:

  1. I loveee PB. I did branch out for awhile and ordered awesome flavored almond butters from naturallynutty.com but it got pricey over time. I'd definitel recommend almond butter though! I'm back to the never fail jif natural peanut butter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made pb cupcakes once and they didn't turn out well- almost more like cookies than anything... :(

    But yeah, I don't eat meat an extreme amount, so that's my "protein" excuse, too.

    And I like almond butter. It's sweeter and a little thinner, but it's a nice switch up. Or sunflower seed butter if you like the more savory flavor...

    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!!!! Almond butter is on the list!

    ReplyDelete