3.11.2011

Tsunami Scare

Beep, beep.

What is that? Oh, what east coaster forgot it's 3 hours earlier here and has decided to text me. What time is it?


4:38 a.m.

From: Dad   Tidal wave may be coming.  How close are you to the ocean?

WHAT?!  I text him back. When is it coming?

From: Dad  Next half hour.  Call me when you wake up.

Now I'm awake.  My mind is racing with worst case scenerios.  I'll spare you the details.

I jump out of bed to turn on my laptop and turn on the TV. Racking my brain, I vaguely remember watching something about tidal waves on The History Channel.  Is 20 minutes from the beach far enough away??

Thankfully, San Diego only has a warning.  No evacuations, just advising people to stay off the beaches due to the strong currents.


Although La Jolla, about a 30 minute drive from me, is expected to get hit with 2-3 foot surgers around 8:40 this morning.

The earthquake in Japan is 7th strongest on record in the world and the footage they're showing on the news is scary.  So far there have been hundreds of lives lost in Japan.  It's so sad to hear about.

I'm sure we'll hear more about it as the day goes on.  So sad.  Everyone on the west coast and in the Pacific, stay safe!

Edit: You can donate directly to the Japan relief fund on the Red Cross website.
You can also donate $10 to the Red Cross by texting REDCROSS to 90999.

3 comments:

  1. Hah, I guess it's good no one cared to call me because I didn't find out until I was on my way to work... in La Jolla! :P But yea it ended up not being as interesting as everyone thought it would be. Good! Hope everyone in Japan the best, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're ok! My thoughts are with everyone affected, though. It's an awful affair...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So scary. I'm glad you're ok. My thoughts are with the people of Japan.

    ReplyDelete