Pardon the picture. They may look...unappetizing...but trust me that they are delicious!
It all started when Shane opened up a can Manwich brand something or other. My brain jumped back to a memory of canned Sloppy Joe's. Yes, remember them? That sweet, tangy, beefy sandwich you used to eat as a kid?
Did anyone else use the name Sloppy Joe as en excuse to throw all table manners to the wind? I know I did; such a rebellious child!
Vegetarian Lentil Sloppy Joe's *click here for nutritional info*
- 1 1/3 cups Green Lentils
- 1 tsp Extra Light Olive Oil
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion
- 1 Whole Carrots
- 1 Celery Medium Stalk (7.5 - 8")
- 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 15 oz Tomato Sauce, 15 Oz Can
- 1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce Original
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Oregano, Dried
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
Even while simmering, not photogenic...
- Rinse and drain lentils, set aside.
- Dice onion, carrot, and celery.
- Using 1 tsp of oil, saute vegetables until onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to simmer and cover.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes, my lentils were not soft enough, so I added 1/4 cup of water and simmered about 15 more minutes. Lentils should be soft, but not falling apart.
- Put on sandwich bread, and enjoy! Or you could put them in a salad...get wild!