4.07.2011

So Delicious, So Not Photogenic: Lentil Sloppy Joes


Pardon the picture.  They may look...unappetizing...but trust me that they are delicious!
It all started when Shane opened up a can Manwich brand something or other.  My brain jumped back to a memory of canned Sloppy Joe's.  Yes, remember them?  That sweet, tangy, beefy sandwich you used to eat as a kid? 

Did anyone else use the name Sloppy Joe as en excuse to throw all table manners to the wind?  I know I did; such a rebellious child!

Vegetarian Lentil Sloppy Joe's *click here for nutritional info*
loosely based on Vegan Dad and Mama Pea's recipes

  • 1 1/3 cups Green Lentils
  • 1 tsp Extra Light Olive Oil
  • 1/2 medium  Yellow Onion
  • 1 Whole Carrots
  • 1 Celery Medium Stalk (7.5 - 8")
  • 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
  • 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
  • 15 oz Tomato Sauce, 15 Oz Can
  • 1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce Original
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp Oregano, Dried
  • 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
Even while simmering, not photogenic...

- Rinse and drain lentils, set aside.

- Dice onion, carrot, and celery.

- Using 1 tsp of oil, saute vegetables until onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes.

- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to simmer and cover.

- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

- After 30 minutes, my lentils were not soft enough, so I added 1/4 cup of water and simmered about 15 more minutes. Lentils should be soft, but not falling apart.

- Put on sandwich bread, and enjoy!  Or you could put them in a salad...get wild!


"You're just not getting my good side"
No matter how you cut it, or angle it, these Lentil Sloppy Joe's are bad for your eyes, but good for the rest of your body!

5 comments:

  1. I agree that I was a little nervous by the picture (mostly because sloppy joes were not always my favorite...I was a weird kid I know...) but then I read the ingredients and I love each and every single one so it made me not so afraid :) I may just be brave enough to give this one a try...I am ALWAYS looking for new yummy recipes. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness girl, I LOVE this idea!! Lentils are BOMB and your recipe looks so great! I'm going to have to try that out. Thanks for sharing! Have an awesome day!!! :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat so many "ugly" meals... it's not even right! ha ha... but they do sound like an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best foods are the ones that dont look it! Lentils are soo good for you too. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks girls! And why does ugly food have to be so good?! It makes things a little tough when you like to take pictures of it!!

    ReplyDelete